Good day!
What is this blog? The short answer is that this blog is
here for me to track my journey to my fitness and nutrition goals. I hope to
make it enjoyable for others as well if any happen to stumble upon it. (Or I
thrust it upon them. Hi!) For a longer
explanation of my background, buckle in and keep reading!
My awareness of my weight and need for better nutrition
began in 2009. I started my first desk job right out of grad school. This
change also included a move back home to Colorado from Paris, where my school
was. (My adventures there can be found in my other blog here, Born A Woman But Been Abroad A Year). My daily
schedule changed drastically. In grad school I had fairly open hours with class
a few hours a week, ate what I wanted, walked everywhere, and lived on the 4th
floor of an apartment building that didn’t have an elevator. (Lugging groceries
up those stairs entailed one tough work out!) My new schedule included sitting
at a desk for 40 hours a week, living in a two story house and working on the
first floor, eating what my family was eating, and driving everywhere. This
schedule change sapped my energy. My routine quickly became: wake up, drive to
work, work 8 hours, drive home, collapse on the couch, watch TV, go to
bed.
Not surprisingly, this resulted in massive weight gain. I
had started at a size 12 or so. I didn’t pay attention to sizes before. I just
wore what fit. I skipped to a size 16 without even a glance at size 14. Just
flew right by that sucker. I happened to have doctor appointments one week
apart. In that ONE WEEK I gained ten pounds. My overall weight gain was around
thirty pounds. At my heaviest I hovered under 200 pounds close to 190 pounds. I
was a skinny string bean kid and average thin through school. It was quite a
shock when I started dating a guy around the same time and in response to
something I said he replied, “That’s why I like big girls!” I didn’t identify
myself as a “big girl.” I’d always been tall for my age and gender at 5’9”. But
now I was being called a big girl. It was a punch to the gut since in my head I
was still that thin girl from high school. (And in case you’re wondering, that
guy didn’t last).
Gaining weight as fast as I did was not normal even
considering the lifestyle change. A later blood test at the doctor’s office
revealed that my thyroid had quit on me (that lazy jerk). Without my thyroid
pumping out its hormones, this added to weight gain, slower metabolism, and
feeling tired all the time no matter how much I slept. I could sleep nine hours
and feel like I didn’t get any sleep the next day. This is obvious in retrospect;
however I was completely unaware at the time. I simply thought I needed to
catch up on sleep. When I tried to go to the gym to work out, I saw no results
and only felt more exhausted every time.
The doctor got me set up with medication to help regulate my
hypothyroidism. Lucky for me, they were
like magic pills. I got more energy.
With this added energy, I was more active and able to go to the gym. I began lifting weights in addition to my
Zumba classes at the recreation center.
My brother, a 6’4” beefy former football player, helped me get started
on some good weight routines and a good eating plan. Some of the pounds seemed to melt off over
the following months. I slept well and felt more awake at work. The pills
helped fix some of the problem. Through working out and becoming more aware of
my diet, I managed to cut my weight back down to 170 pounds. I also moved into an apartment that was
walking distance from work. I tried to style my life around how I lived in
France. I still couldn’t walk to the grocery store, but I was at least getting
much more movement in my daily routine. I was able to walk to the nearby recreation
center as well.
So where am I today?
I moved out of the apartment next to my work and into a house with my
boyfriend (a much healthier relationship than the last one). I am driving to work again but still walking
on my lunch hour. I gained back about
thirteen pounds. It’s not an impossible
amount to lose, but I definitely want to do something different now to curb
that gain. The only thing I want to be
gaining is muscle.
I recently joined Nerd Fitness to help kick start my fitness
and nutrition. A lot of the information I
will be posting will be related to the steps and goals set out there.
So without further blather, I present to you my Super Sale
Blog!
No comments:
Post a Comment