Thursday, September 17, 2015

First Workout

I completed my first Barbell workout through Nerd Fitness.  I tried the second warm up.  I didn't like this one as much as the first one they offer.  This one required 2 minutes of jumping rope or jumping jacks.  F that noise!  I can do a few jumping jacks but 2 minutes is beyond me.

The first level of Barbell workouts includes a Workout A and a Workout B.  You can do these on the same day or on alternating days.  I chose to do both yesterday.

I did 5 sets of 5 reps of Bench Press with 20 lbs on the bar.
5 sets of 5 reps of Barbell squats.  There is no squat rack at the gym I use so I traded between using a Smith Machine and a 6 lbs exercise bar.
3 sets of 10 reps of Pushups.  I was able to get a few real ones in the beginning before switching to knee pushups
3 sets of :30 planks.  I was able to do these fairly well since I normally do 2 sets of :35.

Then I did 3 sets of 5 reps of Deadlifts.  This was my first time doing this exercise so I practiced with a light bar.  2 sets of 6lbs. 1 of 30 lbs
5 sets of 5 reps of Push Press.  I didn't know what this was before.  It's basically a shoulder press with a barbell instead of dumbbells.  Sets were: 6 lbs, 12 lbs, 30 lbs, 30 lbs, 30 lbs
3 sets of 16 reps of Barbell lunges.  I used the 6lbs bar for 2 sets then a 12 lbs bar for the last.
Pullups.  I can't do a straight pullup.  I used a stool and sort of did one.  Then I kind of did two.  Then I did one.  This is something I want to improve for sure.
3 sets of 10 reps of Reverse crunches.  I knew these as leg lifts.  I normally put my hands under my butt when I do these but this time I had them out to my side like they suggest.  That definitely made it harder!

There are a few optional choices after the workout.  Since I didn't get my lunchtime walk in, I did shuttle runs (sprinting between two points 20 feet apart).

Overall I'd say the workout went well.  It took much longer than my usual workout with the warm up and cool down.  I figured it would since this is the first time I did many of these workouts.

Today I am definitely sore all over.  My back of my neck hurts where I must have rested the bar against my neck instead of my shoulder muscles.  That is something to look out for.  I feel sore throughout my chest, back, and backs of my legs.  I'm excited to do it again on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment