Switching up your lifestyle is never easy. Making those changes last is even
harder. My trouble I tend to encounter
is that I try to jump in to lots of changes instead of moving gradually, which
adds stress to my life.
I’ve been making many diet, workout, and schedule
changes. The program I’m using, Nerd
Fitness, actually warns against this.
They recommend the gradual approach so you can get used to it before you
move on. My downfall was thinking, “Well
I already work out. I already try to
watch what I eat. I’m already trying to
get to bed on time. I can handle some
minor tweaking to all of that.”
DIET
The recommended nutrition plan on the website is the
Paleo Diet. I’ve always considered this
another fad diet. I never saw anything
wrong with brown rice or whole wheat bread.
But, they said give it a try for 30 days and see how you feel. I’m willing to try something new so I’m
giving it a shot.
My standard breakfast and lunch were not “Paleo
approved.” I usually ate strawberries,
Greek yogurt, and protein packed wheat cereal for breakfast. Now, the yogurt and cereal are out. I’ve been trying to replace this meal with
eggs in the morning. This means I have
to leave time to cook. It worked okay
for a few days until we ran out of eggs.
I’m still adjusting to it. I’m
hoping I can try some of the recipes I’ve seen for scrambled eggs in muffin
cups to prepare ahead of time. BP
(Before Paleo) I made turkey sandwiches for lunch. The bread is out, but I can still use deli
meat if it doesn’t have added nitrates.
I’ve been making salads for lunch with olive oil and vinegar
dressings. My boyfriend and I are also
trying to adjust our dinner recipes to leave leftovers for the next day.
The biggest problem I’m having with the diet plan is that
I’m cutting out dairy, bread, pasta, etc. without replacing it with the fruit,
meat, and fat that I need. A few times
this last week, I came home feeling completely worn out. My energy levels dropped. I’m buying more fruit to add to my
meals. I still need to get creative with
vegetables.
WORKOUT
My workout already included full body weightlifting. I used to jog for 5 minutes or a half mile to
warm up. Now the warm up includes
jumping jacks, arm circles, squats, and leg swings. It definitely limbers up different parts of
my body than just jogging. I still have
to look at my little cheat sheet for the warm up but I like it more and more.
I’ve chosen the barbell workout. This includes a lot of lifts that are brand
new to me. I’m using a squat rack
instead of a leg press machine. I’ve
done my first deadlift with just the bar.
I’m excited to try all of these lifts I’ve heard about but haven’t
learned before.
With the changed routine and a different warm up and cool
down, my first workouts have lasted around an hour and twenty minutes. I was hoping for the workouts to be shorter
than my former routine. I’m sure they
will go faster once I’m used to them.
SLEEP
I would guess that I get more sleep than the average
American, but I do not get the recommended 8 hours. Good nights in the past were 7 and a half
hours of sleep. Poor nights closer to 6
hours. I know this is an area in which I
need to improve. I’ve changed the time I
start getting ready for bed. I also have
to pay more attention to the clock when I’m reading. Sometimes I would go to bed early only to
read past my bed time. So far I’ve been
making good strides with this. I’ve
managed to get 8 hours on week nights which was impossible before. I get up at the alarm at a later time so I don’t
snooze. I try to get things ready for
the day the night before. Then I don’t
have to spend as much time in the morning doing it.
It’s been easier to go to bed because I’m getting tired
at night. When it approaches 9:30pm I
start to feel drowsy. This is new to
me. I used to feel pretty awake until it
was way past my bed time.
SO HOW’S IT GOING?
It’s been a couple of weeks. With all of these changes I’ve implemented at
once, I’ve been a ball of stress at times.
I come home tired from either the workout or a lack of the right foods
since I’m still trying to adjust to the diet.
Sometimes I stress out when I run out of the approved food. I’m sure I haven’t been pleasant company for
my boyfriend. It only worries him to see
me stressed out.
Stressful nights have occurred in 2 of the nights out of the
past 2 weeks. In general, I am feeling
more accomplished. I am feeling more
energized with more sleep at night. I’m
trying to learn from the times I don’t feel great. I’m still going to try to maintain my diet,
workouts, and new schedule.
No comments:
Post a Comment